An absolute, must-try is this Chili Paneer recipe handed down from Nim’s (my marketing manager and right-hand woman) mother! If you are not familiar, Paneer is a fresh cheese made from full-fat buffalo or cow milk popular in the Indian subcontinent. It is a soft cheese made by curdling milk with a fruit or veggie acid such as lemon juice. This recipe consists of Paneer being tossed in a delicious sweet, spicy, and tangy sauce with peppers and onions. If you are looking to mix up your weekly meal rotation, I highly recommend trying out this incredible and easy Chili Paneer recipe.
- 2x 6-oz packages of paneer (we used Sach organic paneer from Whole Foods!)
- 2 bell peppers (you can use any color!)
- 2-3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 onion
- 3 TBS crushed tomatoes
- 1 TBS ketchup
- 1 TBS coconut aminos or soy sauce (can add more to taste)
- 1/2-1 TBS sriracha (can add more to taste)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Fresh cilantro
- Cut the paneer into 3/4 inch cubes and put aside. Then cut the bell pepper and onion into similar bite size pieces and put aside.
- Heat 2-3 TBS olive oil on the stove over medium to low heat for 1 minute. Add minced garlic to the pan and swirl it around for 1 minute without letting it burn.
- Next add your onions and peppers and cook them for about 3-4 minutes. You don’t want to overcook them because you still want them to have a little crunch!
- Next add 1 TBS of soy sauce or coconut aminos and mix for another minute. You can always add more to taste!
- Next add the crushed tomatoes, sriracha, ketchup, lemon juice, brown sugar fresh cilantro and mix for another minute.
- Now fold in your paneer! Let this cook for 4-5 minutes, until your paneer is well coated with gravy. Be sure to fold gently so your paneer doesn’t fall apart!
- Feel free to add a little more sriracha + coconut aminos here to taste depending on your spice preference! Top off with more cilantro and serve hot 🙂
- Note: If you have a Thai green chili pepper or ginger on hand, this can also be added in step 5 for additional flavor + heat!